Turkish food has also been a big love of mine (amongst food in general). When I was younger I was lucky enough that my mum and step-dad would take us to Turkey every year for our family holiday and it would be full of amazing food. We would eat the most delicious traditional turkish food consisting of marinated meats, veggie dishes, yoghurty dips and flatbreads. My obsession grew in my teens as we had a lovely family friend stay with us for a few years, and being Turkish she would often cook up some absolute stunners including one of my favourites – koftes and “special carrot stuff”.
Of course flatbread and yoghurt as I knew them are now off the cards due to being gluten free and following the low FODMAP diet. However as always, I have taken on the challenge to turn a family favourite into a tummy-friendly feast and think we’re pretty much there!
This Turkish-inspired spread consists of turkey mince koftes (you could you beef but I find it’s super yummy and leaner with turkey mince), an unbelievably tasty side dish consisting of fried carrots, dairy-free yoghurt and garlic oil, plus feta salad and rice. And it all takes about 30 minutes in total!
The below is enough for two so add as needed…
- In a mixing bowel pop in 250g lean turkey mince, 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin , oregano and paprika 1 1/2 teaspoon tried mint, 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon of garlic oil (you can use fresh garlic if not low FODMAP) salt and pepper.
- Mix it all together using your hands until the spices are evenly spread throughout.
- Roll into sausage shapes – I go for small and thick but whatever you fancy 😉
- Place on an oil-sprayed baking tray and bake for 10-15 mins on 180 until cooked through
“Special Carrot Stuff” Side
- Grate 5 decent sized carrots with a cheese grater and add them to a heated frying pan with a teaspoon of garlic oil.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on a medium heat until the carrots are fairly soft, but not mushy!
- Once cool, mix the carrots with your chosen yoghurt (I use Koko plain yoghurt). I normally use about 200g but put as much in until the consistency is how you like it, and stir in a good pinch of salt.
- Pour into a serving dish and smooth the mixture down, adding a drizzle more of garlic spray and a pinch of chilli flakes on top
- Cut up plenty of cucumber into quarters and mix in with chopped plum tomatoes, salad, a big old sprinkling of dried mint, crumbled feta (I use lactose free but 1/2 cup of regular feta is low FODMAP) and some leaves if you fancy them.
- Drizzle over olive oil and a little balsamic glaze!
- I’m lazy with rice so it involves opening the bag, microwaving and serving!
If you do try this recipe then I’d love to hear what you think so don’t forget to send me some pics via email@example.com my instagram @thetummydiaries