Going to the gym before work means that I eat breakfast at my desk, which limits me a little in terms of choices. I usually go through two-moth cycles of eating a certain breakfast until I get bored of it, but overnight oats is always the one I come back to. They’re super-quick to prep, easy to eat on the go and absolutely delicious!
I also love that you can vary them up using different flavours. I usually keep the base the same, but choose from my list of favourite “flavour boosters” to thicken them up or just add an extra bit of tasteyness. Choose one or even try mixing a few!
My personal favourite is the PB butter powder mixed in with a handful of berries (I use frozen berries but add them on top in the morning to stop them going soggy), sliced banana (also add in the morning to stay fresh) and a sprinkle of cinnamon…so yeah, basically all of the above combined!
In terms of oats; oats are classed as low FODMAP in portion sizes under 1/2 a cup so you’re good to go with rolled oats! However, personally being extremely sensitive to gluten I opt for the gluten free oats. Technically, non-contaminated, pure oats are actually gluten free, however unfortunately most brands of oats are processed in facilities that also process wheat, barley, and rye – so contamination is high, so if gluten intolerant or coeliac just switch for the safe option!
– 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 2 tbsp of your favourite lactose free yoghurt (I use coconut yoghurt)
– 1/3 cup rolled oats or gluten free oats
– 2 tbsp chia seeds
– 6 almonds
– chosen toppers/mixers (see above)
1. mix all of your ingredients in a tuppaware and leave overnight (I usually prep two day’s worth at a time as they keep well for 48 hours)
2. take out in the morning and enjoy!