Spaghetti has always been my favourite, ever since I was little! Lucky for me, gluten free spaghetti has got better and better over the years; and teamed with a rich home-made tomatoey sauce along with every type of seafood I can get my hands on, it’s one of my favourite Friday night treats (along with a glass of red wine of course)!
Seafood wise, I usually go for a frozen bag of baby scallops along with a selection of mixed seafood such as mussels and prawns. I have also been known to add a salmon fillet on top (as per above) but to be honest, that’s just greed (but also really great)!
Another plus for a Friday night, it is pretty quick and simple, despite making your sauce from scratch!
– selection of your chosen seafood (defrosted if frozen)
– 90g pancetta (optional but adds some great flavour!)
– 200g gluten free spaghetti
– 2 red peppers thinly sliced
– 180g plum tomatoes
– 1 1/2 tbsp tomato puree
– 8 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped (optional)
– garlic infused olive oil
– pinch of chilli flakes
– handful of rocket
– splash of balsamic vinegar
– handful of parsley
– coriander (optional, to taste)
– parmesan to top
1. fry your peppers and tomatoes on a high heat in your chosen oil until browned
2. leave to above to cool and cook spaghetti for approx. 11 mins (see individual packet instructions). Once cooked, rinse off starch using boiling water and leave to cool
3. combine three quarters of your peppers and tomatoes and tomato puree into a food processor with salt and pepper, parsley, chilli flakes, a few sprays of one calorie garlic oil or a drop of infused oil plus 1/4 cup of water. Process for approx 10 seconds until combined but not thin (add more water to thin out if needed)
4. if using pancetta, add to wok and fry for 2 minutes. then on a medium heat add your seafood along with remaining peppers and tomatoes (use a drop more garlic oil if needed). After a minute or so, stir in your tomato sauce
5. another minute later add your spaghetti and sun-tried tomatoes if used and mix thoroughly until everything is cooked through
6. just before serving, through in a handful of rocket (and a little coriander if wanted) and mix in until slightly wilted
7. serve up and top with parmesan and serve with a great big glass of wine